Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Life Lessons

I have been trying to find time to post since Sunday but have been very busy and not able to get to it. Saturday night I was treated to a rare night out with some good friends who treated me to supper and then games and dessert. It was such a joy to be out on a weekend night and not hanging with teenagers. Not that I don't like hanging with Rachel and her friends but when that seems to be all you do, it sure is nice to have some adult time once in a while. However, because I did do this, it put me behind in other things I had planned to do on Saturday. As a result I was playing catch-up for a couple days.

Now that I have found a short amount of time before scurrying off to bed are a few of the lessons God has been teaching me the past couple of days. I am sure glad He never stops trying to teach me new things. I am glad He never gets so frustrated with me and gives up on me. Being a teacher, I understand how frustrating it can be to work with children who just don't seem to get it, no matter how you present it. I'm sure God must feel like that about me sometimes. But He never gives up!! Amazing!!!

Lesson #1
But seek first His kingdom and His rghteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 6:33

On Friday night I was talking to Natasha, who has become a very special friend that I never would have met if it wasn't for our adoption connection. She is so wise and shared this verse in relation to some things God is showing her. Little did she know that in sharing what God is showing her, He was using her to show me something as well. I realized that I have been so caught up in everything else going on in my life that I have failed to spend quality time with the Lord. God knows the things that I desire and He wants to give me the desires of my heart, but as this verse says, I need to seek Him first and then all these things will be given to me as well. I am not saying that when I seek God all the things I want - especially material things - will be given to me. But the things that God has placed upon my heart and that He has revealed to me, such as the adoption of Levi and finding a mate to spend the rest of my life with, will be added in His perfect timing.

Lesson #2
On Sunday morning we had a guest speaker at our church. He and his wife have a dynamic ministry. You can view it at . Before he began to preach, he allowed his wife to come up and share a little. She had a dynamic word picture she painted of our value in God's eyes. That will stay with me a long time. But the following quote has become the one that I think I am going to post around my house.
10% is what happens to you in life. 90% is how you respond to it.
How true is that? I cannot control what happens to me in life but I can certainly control how I respond to it.

Lesson #3
You've got to come to a place where you stop looking at God as a spare tire that you pull out only for emergencies.


Wow! Does anything more need to be said?!

4 comments:

Salzwedel Family said...

I'm glad you had a relaxing night out with friends! It sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for sharing these lessons - we can all benefit from them.

Nadra said...

Great lessons Tracy. I think I'm going to use that last one (hope you don't mind).

Natasha is a great friend. She got me through many trying moments when we waited for Drew. Such a Godly young woman.

Aren't you glad we have a God that doesn't give up on us? He must get so frustrated with us (or at least with me) when I don't listen or trust him fully. He has to really thump me on the head sometimes before I "get it". What an amazing God we serve!

Anonymous said...

Wow - thank you so much for sharing. Writing it down... :)

Adam, Natasha, Avi Joy, Nehemiah and Karrington said...

So sweet, thank you sister.
Now just to live those life-lessons daily : ) 90% how I respond, ouch, that got me.
One thing I know for sure, I cannot make it without my Lord, my Strength.
We are at the end of this adoption journey, our sons will be in our arms very soon!
Hugs
N

My Thankful List

  • salvation through Jesus Christ
  • my beautiful daughter who is beautiful from the inside out
  • a referral of an adorable little boy named Levi
  • a letter of intent before the September 1st deadline
  • God spared my daughter from serious injury when hit by a car in Colorado
  • a wonderful year with my "exchange daughter" from Estonia - Mari-Liis
  • my faithful companion for the past 6 years - Millie - my springer spaniel
  • the peace and joy that comes with surrendering everything to the Lord
  • safety through all the storms that have passed our way
  • my supportive family
  • my incredible church family
  • a sump pump that continued to work for 10 weeks of water and sand seepage
  • birds singing and bugs chirping
  • neighbors and friends who lend a hand in your time of need
  • being able to sleep withe the windows open
  • a new deck to enjoy summer when it stops storming so much
  • the sound of children playing outside on a warm summer night
  • heat when its cold and air conditioning when its hot
  • the blessing of a great job
  • church picnics
  • chocolate
  • beautiful sunsets over Lake Michigan
  • summer vacation
  • beautiful blue skies and warm (not hot) summer days