Saturday, February 28, 2009

First Meeting







Today was the day I have been waiting for since I received the referral on July 31st. Today I got to meet my son for the very first time. We left our shoes at the bottom of the steps and walked up the stairs and into the orphanage. There in his walker was Levi. He was hesitant and didn't want to move. Trinh encouraged him to move towards us. I asked if I could get him out. They said yes. He just looked at me with an unsure kind of look. Then, he started to cry. And boy does he have a good strong set of lungs. I tried looking at a Baby Einstein photo book I brought that had pictures of family in it. We tried sitting on a mat on the floor to play and that didn't work. We gave him first one and then another toy and that didn't work. Then, we tried a bottle of water and that didn't work. I stood up and grandpa got out one of the toys we brought. He started to settle down as I rocked back and forth with him and before long, his eyes were closed. At least I know that he wasn't crying because of me but because he was tired. He cuddled close and slept for a little bit. Before long they brought his pillow and had me lay him down on the mat so that I could sign some papers and write in a special book they have of the children who have been adopted. The other little boy, who is 22 months, came too close to Levi and he woke up. I picked him up and Trinh and grandpa tried to get him to smile. He was still a little sleepy so they weren't able to get him to smile. He liked grandpa's glasses. In fact, when we got ready to go, grandpa had to work a little to get the sunglasses out of his hand. By that time, he was getting sleepy again and didn't want to let go of me. I think he was getting ready to cry again. Trinh told me that he likes to be held and that he is very flexible. She showed us how he did the back bend that Natasha saw him do when she was here last month. She also told us that he is crawling a little. We will go again to the Center tomorrow morning. I can't wait!!

11 comments:

Jill and Andy said...

HOW WONDERFUL!!! It is so beautiful to see you holding your son!!!!

NHP said...

YEAH!
Congratulations on seeing your son for the first time! Soon you will be walking away from the center and will be a family forever.
He is a dollbaby and the pictures of you together just melt my heart!
Looking forward to seeing more!!!
Blessings,
Natasha

Salzwedel Family said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!! It is so amazing to see you together. He is absolutely precious and that smile on your face shows you are a very happy mom.

Amanda said...

that's PRECIOUS!

MamaOfTwo said...

Oh, how precious! Especially loving the picture where Levi is snuggled on you and sleeping. So cozy. What a special time! I can imagine it was a little overwhelming and full of emotions.

Enjoy your visits with your son. Just a short time from now you will be together always.

We are so happy for you. Many Congratulations!

M.

Julie said...

Happy Day for all of you. Meeting your child for the first time is the most amazing experience. You will remember it forever.

cupfar said...

Precious! What a big boy he has grown into!! I'm sitting here thinking, wow, Anson is gonna be that big... I must prepare better! Ha ha.... But you two, I can't imagine what you were feeling!! I'm so excited that the day is coming when you get to walk out of there with him!!! Ahhh!!

Nadra said...

Oh Tracy...what great pictures. It just melts my heart seeing you with your son. How precious.

Get some rest and enjoy the area. It won't be long until he's in your arms forever.

Blessings to you sweet friend!

Jan said...

LOVE that shot of him sleeping in your arms. How perfect! Congrats on meeting your son. What a special day!!

Heather M. said...

Super Sweet & Seeing him in your arms is perfect!!! The pictures are precious & bring back good memories. Write everything down so you don't ever forget!! Enjoy!

Heather M.

Lisa said...

How great to see you with Levi snuggled in your arms at last!

My Thankful List

  • salvation through Jesus Christ
  • my beautiful daughter who is beautiful from the inside out
  • a referral of an adorable little boy named Levi
  • a letter of intent before the September 1st deadline
  • God spared my daughter from serious injury when hit by a car in Colorado
  • a wonderful year with my "exchange daughter" from Estonia - Mari-Liis
  • my faithful companion for the past 6 years - Millie - my springer spaniel
  • the peace and joy that comes with surrendering everything to the Lord
  • safety through all the storms that have passed our way
  • my supportive family
  • my incredible church family
  • a sump pump that continued to work for 10 weeks of water and sand seepage
  • birds singing and bugs chirping
  • neighbors and friends who lend a hand in your time of need
  • being able to sleep withe the windows open
  • a new deck to enjoy summer when it stops storming so much
  • the sound of children playing outside on a warm summer night
  • heat when its cold and air conditioning when its hot
  • the blessing of a great job
  • church picnics
  • chocolate
  • beautiful sunsets over Lake Michigan
  • summer vacation
  • beautiful blue skies and warm (not hot) summer days