Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Turkish Evening

Tonight Rachel and I went to a ladies event for our church in which we got to experience what it is like to live in Turkey. The host for the evening was a woman that our church supports, along with her husband and children, in serving with YWAM in Turkey. This morning they shared at church during the service. I also had the opportunity to talk with her prior to the start of the morning service. She is a wonderful woman of God who makes you feel like you matter right from the minute you meet her. Right from the minute we walked in the door of the home where the event was being held, we were introduced to Turkish culture. We were instructed to greet one another the way that they do in Turkey. We got to sample some Turkish food in the way they would when someone comes over for tea. I am so glad that I went because I think that I now have a deeper understanding and appreciation for the people of Turkey and for the ministry that this family is involved in. I believe that now I can pray for them in ways that I would not have been able to prior to this evening. It is amazing to me how many misconceptions we have about people living in other countries. As I am writing this, I keep going back to something that our pastor said when he spoke on Right to Life Sunday, just two weeks ago. Every life matters to Jesus Christ so every life is sacred. He wants everyone to come to a saving knowledge of the truth. The thing that our host for the evening wanted us to take with us most I think is not only to pray for the people of Turkey, but even more importantly to pray for and reach out to those right around us who need Jesus as much as the people of Turkey. We don't have to go to a foreign country to find people who are dying and in need of a Savior.

Lord give me Your eyes to see, Your words to speak, Your hands to touch, Your feet to go, and Your heart for those right around me who need You! You are the only source of peace and comfort that will ever satisfy the longings deep within us!
In Jesus' Name,
Amen

No comments:

My Thankful List

  • salvation through Jesus Christ
  • my beautiful daughter who is beautiful from the inside out
  • a referral of an adorable little boy named Levi
  • a letter of intent before the September 1st deadline
  • God spared my daughter from serious injury when hit by a car in Colorado
  • a wonderful year with my "exchange daughter" from Estonia - Mari-Liis
  • my faithful companion for the past 6 years - Millie - my springer spaniel
  • the peace and joy that comes with surrendering everything to the Lord
  • safety through all the storms that have passed our way
  • my supportive family
  • my incredible church family
  • a sump pump that continued to work for 10 weeks of water and sand seepage
  • birds singing and bugs chirping
  • neighbors and friends who lend a hand in your time of need
  • being able to sleep withe the windows open
  • a new deck to enjoy summer when it stops storming so much
  • the sound of children playing outside on a warm summer night
  • heat when its cold and air conditioning when its hot
  • the blessing of a great job
  • church picnics
  • chocolate
  • beautiful sunsets over Lake Michigan
  • summer vacation
  • beautiful blue skies and warm (not hot) summer days