Friday, February 27, 2009

Day 3






Today we went to the Cu Chi Tunnels. It was about an hour and a half drive to get there. We had the same tour guide as yesterday. The Cu Chi Tunnels is a labyrinth of narrow tunnels built by Vietnamese guerillas during the war. They were used to hide during bombing raids and to stage surprise attacks. There are over 200 kilometers of tunnels in the area, all of which were dug by men and women of Cu Chi village using only hand tools. There are two sections of this tunnel that are open to the public. The underground tunnels include a hospital, kitchen, dining area, meeting area and sleeping quarters on the first level. This was 3 feet down. The second level of tunnels was 6 feet underground and the third level was 10 feet underground. It was very interesting. Neither dad nor I did go down into the tunnels because he can't maneuver it with his knees and I can't do the close quarters thing. You will notice that I included Flat Stanley in my pictures. I had him along yesterday but forgot to take pictures with him. Sorry second graders! Our guide thought it was so funny that we were taking pictures with a "cartoon" but was great about helping us to arrange pictures with him.

We are constantly amazed at the things they can carry on a scooter here. Today we saw someone carrying a small refrigerator and someone with a very large speaker on their scooter. I also have seen people carrying some large and unusual loads on bikes as well. I have put some pictures of them in my slide show (which should be posted soon).

Tonight we ate at one of the hotel restaurants because they gave us a voucher for staying at the hotel for 3 nights. Each place we have eaten, we have been amazed at how much food you get for the money you pay. Every place has had delicious food. Tonight we had more of a Western meal as opposed to the Vietnamese fare we had been eating the past two nights.

We packed up as much of our things as we could tonight as tomorrow morning we have to be checked out by 8:00 to go to Can Tho. Finally we will get to meet Levi for the first time! We can't wait!! I am hoping that we have internet access in Can Tho so that all of you will not have to wait until Monday to see pictures of Levi with us.

4 comments:

MamaOfTwo said...

Awesome! Love the Flat Stanley pics :) And you wouldn't have gotten me in those tunnels either. Not for anything! Talk about small spaces!

It's one day closer!!!!! The anticipation must be overwhelming. I remember that all too well. I keep counting down the days along with you. You've been on my mind all week. I bet Levi's Grandpa is very excited, too!

Thinking of you and praying for a beautiful first meeting with your new son.

Can't wait to see you two together.

M.

cupfar said...

Flat Stanley!! He was my absolute favorite back in grade school!! That's so cute! I'm so excited the day has come when you get to meet Levi!!! Can't wait for the photos of you two!!

Salzwedel Family said...

I love sharing this journey through your pictures. And how great that Flat Stanley joined you on the trip. I hope his seat wasn't too expensive!

I can't wait to see you and your precious son together.

Heather M. said...

It looks like you guys are having wonderful weather for touring! Can't wait to see some pictures of you & Levi though!!! Enjoy CanTho. I love all the Flat Stanley pics too!!! How Cute!

Heather M.

My Thankful List

  • salvation through Jesus Christ
  • my beautiful daughter who is beautiful from the inside out
  • a referral of an adorable little boy named Levi
  • a letter of intent before the September 1st deadline
  • God spared my daughter from serious injury when hit by a car in Colorado
  • a wonderful year with my "exchange daughter" from Estonia - Mari-Liis
  • my faithful companion for the past 6 years - Millie - my springer spaniel
  • the peace and joy that comes with surrendering everything to the Lord
  • safety through all the storms that have passed our way
  • my supportive family
  • my incredible church family
  • a sump pump that continued to work for 10 weeks of water and sand seepage
  • birds singing and bugs chirping
  • neighbors and friends who lend a hand in your time of need
  • being able to sleep withe the windows open
  • a new deck to enjoy summer when it stops storming so much
  • the sound of children playing outside on a warm summer night
  • heat when its cold and air conditioning when its hot
  • the blessing of a great job
  • church picnics
  • chocolate
  • beautiful sunsets over Lake Michigan
  • summer vacation
  • beautiful blue skies and warm (not hot) summer days