Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Reflections

I know that it is only Wednesday, but with the end of another year, I thought that I would take some time to reflect on the things that I am thankful for from this past year. God has definitely been faithful to us this year. I hadn't really thought about how faithful He has been until I sat and really reflected. Here are the situations that God has shown His faithfulness to us this year:

1. On Easter Sunday my father-in-law was hospitalized with high blood pressure and low heart rate. This began a series of tests that led to the discovery of 2 tumors in one of his kidneys, a blockage that required surgery, and the addition of a pacemaker. Praise God the kidney was successfully removed along with the tumors and no further treatment was needed for the cancer. He has recovered well and we are all very thankful.
2. The end of April began 9 weeks of water in our basement due to the water table being so high from lots of snow in the winter and rain in the spring. We didn't have any major damage to anything and it even helped me to do some good purging.
3. In July, Rachel went to Colorado Springs with the youth group and was hit by a car. She walked away from the experience with only cuts and bruises. It truly was a miracle.
4. In August, my niece was in a parade and a car went speeding through the parade route and nearly hit several people, my niece being one of them.
5. This fall my mom went in to have same day surgery to remove something on her finger. She had an violent reaction to the IV antibiotic. Had the anesthesiologist not acted quickly, she would not have made it. We are thankful that he knew what to do and that she is still with us.
6. In July we finally received a referral of our precious little Levi. We already love him so much and we cannot wait to bring him home.

I pray that your 2008 has been as blessed as ours has been and that your 2009 will be even better!

6 comments:

Roselawn said...

Sounds like you have a lot of reasons to be thankful! You asked about my New Year's Eve plans. Actually, I'm at my mom's house now, and it's less than an hour until the ball drops! Nothing exciting planned... I'm still recovering from a busy Christmas!

Sherry

Jill and Andy said...

Beautifully said! I wish you much happiness in 2009 and looking forward to following your travel journey to Vietnam!!!!

cupfar said...

Yes, very thankful for everything - we wouldn't be where we are today if nothing in the last year hadn't happened! And the last one your list - definitely the highlight of 2008, wouldn't you say? The referral. I can't wait now that we are in 2009 - maybe we'll even meet halfway across this world! Here's to looking forward and getting our boys home! - get ready because it's not that much longer!!

Willis said...

Happy New Year! May the Lord continue to richly bless your life. I enjoy your blog.

Heather

KellyG said...

God is so wonderful! So many blessings, so many things to be thankful for!! I'm praying that the DNA appointment goes smoothly, and that you'll get a very special birthday gift--pre-approval!!! I can wait to see pictures of you holding your Levi!!!

The Hills said...

Thinking of you and praying for you and all involved with the DNA Testing. Praying for speedy preapproval and safe travels to bring your beautiful son home!
The Lord bless you and your family.
Scarlett

My Thankful List

  • salvation through Jesus Christ
  • my beautiful daughter who is beautiful from the inside out
  • a referral of an adorable little boy named Levi
  • a letter of intent before the September 1st deadline
  • God spared my daughter from serious injury when hit by a car in Colorado
  • a wonderful year with my "exchange daughter" from Estonia - Mari-Liis
  • my faithful companion for the past 6 years - Millie - my springer spaniel
  • the peace and joy that comes with surrendering everything to the Lord
  • safety through all the storms that have passed our way
  • my supportive family
  • my incredible church family
  • a sump pump that continued to work for 10 weeks of water and sand seepage
  • birds singing and bugs chirping
  • neighbors and friends who lend a hand in your time of need
  • being able to sleep withe the windows open
  • a new deck to enjoy summer when it stops storming so much
  • the sound of children playing outside on a warm summer night
  • heat when its cold and air conditioning when its hot
  • the blessing of a great job
  • church picnics
  • chocolate
  • beautiful sunsets over Lake Michigan
  • summer vacation
  • beautiful blue skies and warm (not hot) summer days